Sunday, October 23, 2011

Module 9

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1)Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read ONCE DEAD, TWICE SHY by Kim Harrison. It is about a dead girl who lives on Earth and is trying to find her place in the world of Angels and Demons. She is more or less a ghost who has a body because she stole the person who killed her's amulet. The amulets give an appearance of a body but you don't really have a soul. Which doesn't really make much sense because the girl is still the same person. They don't call them demons in the book but there is a dark side. She originally thinks she has an amulet to be an angel on the light side but eventually finds out otherwise. The "demons" in the book are sent to kill specific people and the angels have to try and stop them.
It was very interesting to read the notes and compare them to this book. I think like in the notes many of the demons in the book are fallen angels. The bad "angels" have black wings and can look like crows. The good angels have white wings and are trying to save people. I think like in Contemporary Christianity the "demons" in this book have "fallen from grace" or have gone against the good angels. The angel who is training her even says he doesn't get along with the higher power so that could say that he is going against what is good. Even though he is a good angel he just doesn't believe in all the rules. I don't think I ever would have read this book on my own but I did find it intriguing.




View all my reviews


Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I think BEFORE I FALL really gave Sam a chance to look at philosophical issues in her life and in the lives around her by reliving her last day over and over. I loved this book and found it hard to put down. I think it was so good because of the way Sam realizes what is really important in life and realizes she has to try and change somethings before she leaves. There weren't really any religious issues that she dealt with but she did continually ask why. There were some religious undertones though, she knows that the seventh time she is reliving her last day that it will be her last, she says " and on the seventh day". I think teens could really relate to the issues in this book but also learn to be thankful and happy with what you have because you never know when it will be your last day.

I loved this book! It was a great story and I was rooting for her the whole time to not die.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment