Sunday, October 30, 2011

Module 10

Texas GothicTexas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book is awesome! It has a little bit of romance, ghosts, and magic.
I read TEXAS GOTHIC by Rosemary Clement-Moore and it definitely fits the magical realism genre. It has a combination of magical realism, ghosts, and a little bit of fantasy. I think this book could be classified as more of a blended genre. When I first started reading it I forgot what section it was under and it didn't make any sense to me how it could be steampunk, then I look at the reading list again and realized it wasn't.
I really think all three can be blended genres. When you have steampunk there can be a lot of history or historical fiction blended in, and maybe a little bit of magic too. Magical realism is more magical qualities and like in TEXAS GOTHIC actual magic, like witches and spells and then ghosts. Urban fantasy can be a little harder to describe is normally fantasy with an urban setting. All three genres are intriguing and are becoming more and more developed but it can be hard when some of these novels have more than one element on where to classify them. The only other main term that could be added when describing these types of books is historical, because most of the time there is either a historical setting or history being dug up and involved with the story.
So far in reading TEXAS GOTHIC it has been mainly magical realism with a little mix of urban fantasy. I am really enjoying it though and have found it really hard to put down.



View all my reviews


Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk RomancesCorsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances by Trisha Telep

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


CORSETS & CLOCKWORK is an anthology of Steampunk romances. I have to say that I did not like all of them. Some of them were really good and others were just really different. I am not a big fan of steampunk myself, but I would recommend it to teens. I would also recommend this book. It is well written and has great characters and is a good look at the steampunk genre. I think teens would appeal to it because it is different and has historical references. I think it is also just a good read for teens because it is a collection of short stories and now every teen wants a huge book to read. Steampunk is a fun and different genre but I know many teens who have asked for it and said that they like it.
I don't find myself drawn to steampunk but that doesn't mean it isn't any good.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment