Sunday, October 16, 2011

Module 8

Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book! I felt this book met many of the rules for fantasy. Lily is a mermaid and with her first kiss to a boy she becomes bonded with him and he is her mate for life. She is the Princess of the kingdom Thalassinian. The kingdom under the sea is described in great detail and can be pictured well. Lots of blues and greens, beautiful coral and fish. It sounded very beautiful and if a place like this really existed I would want to go there. The story is very imaginative but logical. The idea of another world existing right before our eyes but never knowing its there is really got me thinking. Lily can go between the two worlds of being a human and a mermaid because her mother was a human and her father is the sea king. The other characters both the ones on land and in the water are all very well developed and consistent with the theme of the novel.
The main theme of this novel is the choice Lily has to make between the man she loves who is human and being with him or living in the sea without. In some ways it is like Ariel from the Little Mermaid because Ariel makes the choice to live on land.
This novel meets the guidelines to fall under the umbrella of fantasy. This is my favorite book that I have read this week. It was fun and really cute. There is another book in the series and I plan to read it soon.



View all my reviews

Zombie Queen of Newbury HighZombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book does have a lot of teen appeal because it deals with "it crowds" and how this one girl goes from the bottom to the top. But how she does it is the funny side of the story. She casts a zombie spell over most of the senior class so they all want to follow her around because they think she is the queen. I thought the book was funny but I really just wanted to get to the end and find out if she reverses the spell or not.
I think this book is original because it is a funny zombie story instead of scary. I think it also has originality in the fact that the author makes up an actual organization that comes in to help reverse the spell or get rid of the zombies, whichever comes first. I don't think this book "hops on the band wagon" because it is totally out there and has twists that just aren't expected.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment