Thursday, September 29, 2011

Module 6

My Most Excellent YearMy Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I think this book was good. It had some controversial issues because one of the characters is gay. It did not bother any of his close friends or his family but it was kind of funny that the character didn't even know he was gay yet. Later on in the story he falls for a boy and figure out his is gay. His family is very understanding seeing as they knew he was gay all along. They had figure it out from what he loved to do, and just from certain mannerisms. I think this book has come a long way in compared to older books about teens who are gay or lesbian. This one shows more people being open to him being gay and being okay with it. Many people are still very judgmental about gays or lesbians but I think love is love no matter what form. This was a great read and it also had multiple narrators. I found that each chapter was fun and different from the next. We got to see each characters side of what was happening and also learn about the other characters too.



View all my reviews


Hard LoveHard Love by Ellen Wittlinger

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was my favorite book this week because I really fell in love with the characters. I think I also liked it because the characters are writers also. I love to write and felt a sense of connection to these characters. Marisol is a lesbian and is very open about being one. Gio falls for her even though she is one. I think Gio falls for Marisol because she becomes a close friend and really cares about him and he hasn't had anyone in his life like that for a while. I saw differences of how gays and lesbians are treated now compared to this book. In this book Marisol's parents are so excited that she is hanging out with a straight boy in hopes that she will change and no longer be a lesbian. This can remain true for many parents who find out their child is gay. My brother is gay and my father had a hard time accepting it. My brother is also living in a different time than Marisol did and gays and lesbians are more accepted. Many more places are honoring gay marriages. Being gay is not something new but is more widely accepted than it used to be. Marisol being a lesbian was accepted as who she was because she stood up for herself and didn't change for anyone.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment