Thursday, December 8, 2011

Module 3

I realized that my post for Module 3 disappear so I am doing one now.

Postcards from No Man's LandPostcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


POSTCARDS FROM NO MAN'S LAND is a beautifully written story. The book opening was different and I thought I might not like it but as I continued to read I fell in love with the story. This novel is beautifully written and it made me want more. I can see why it was given the Printz Award and a few other awards. I think teens can relate to this book in the different things the main character is going through. It is very emotional and it makes you laugh, teens go through many emotions just like the character in this book does. He falls in love while he is traveling but not just with one person. He learns things about himself and understands things that he didn't before. He finds out things about his grandfather that he never knew, some good, some not so good, but it helps him learn about him because he never met his grandfather.

The main character, Jacob, travels to Holland to visit his grandfather's grave. He learns a lot about his family while he is there and falls in love with the Dutch culture. The language isn't bad but there is a lot about sex, which can be seen in many teenage novels these days. I think this won the award because of the richness of the story and how much the character learns about life and life around him as he becomes an adult.



View all my reviews

MockingbirdMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


One novel that I read MOCKINGBIRD by Katherine Erskine I thought was really beautiful. It is about a girl with Asperger's who looses her brother and how her and her father cope. This novel could become a classic. It is a beautifully written novel and I think it can teach people a lot about people with Asperger's. It was a struggle to read at times because it was sad, but it shows how loving some people can be. Also it has a lot to do with bullying and how bad it can be. I think it proves that even though people with Asperger's are different that doesn't mean that they aren't wonderful people. The young girl in the story doesn't always understand everything that is going on around her but she tries to help in anyway possible. In the end she helps not only herself figure out a way to move on with her life still living with her brothers memory but also helps her father.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment