Thursday, December 8, 2011

Module 15

The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1)The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book and series is really great. I really enjoyed the characters and the feeling of traveling to another world. I loved how he changed the spelling of her name to Alyss. I think fantasy series in young adult has become a lot more popular. Fantasy is a place where teens go in their imagination and if its a series and they really like there are more books for them to read. This can be a great way to help teens get more into reading by introducing them to series books. Alyss uses her power of imagination to make things happen but when she is lost in London and far away from the Heart Crystal her powers start to fade. When she finally does return to Wonderland she realizes how much simpler her life was in London. I think its really true. Having to be Queen and deal with everything on a regular basis and not really get a rest from it would be hard. In London she got to live a life without her imagination and without everyone relying on her. As the reader we do realize though that Wonderland is where she is supposed to be. I really liked how Beddor brought in Lewis Carroll to the story and the Alice in Wonderland story that was really unusual and different and it really gets you seeing how different the two stories really are. He makes it seem like Carroll mocks Alyss and just thinks it is a big made up story in her head. I think teens would like this novel because it is a different version of a story they probably heard or read in their younger years. Its a new twist on Alice in Wonderland and its really good.



View all my reviews

Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2)Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This second book in the series was harder to get through than the first. I felt like there was a lot going on, maybe too much in the beginning. As it progressed through the end I got more into and really wanted to know what was going to happen. I think the cover of this novel is a great version of Redd. I like how Beddor changed everything to be more out there and more grown up, more modern. These books are definitely for teens and adults to read, as they will understand it better. I did like that Hatter has feelings in this book and we get to see the woman he loves and his daughter that he didn't know about until recently. Hatter always seems so strange in the other books and movies and we don't really understand him. I think Beddor did a good job of giving Hatter a prominent character. I also think the most recent version (Tim Burton's) of Alice in Wonderland is actually similar to these books. It makes me think that maybe the producer had read these books too when making that movie. I picture things like the forest and the Pool of tears like things in that movie. It is interesting to see how alike all of the versions are but also so different, especially when comparing them to the books. I would love to see this series made into movies, but they would have to do it well to live up to the imaginative representation.



View all my reviews

ArchEnemy (The Looking Glass Wars, #3)ArchEnemy by Frank Beddor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


By this point in the series I wanted to know if Alyss was going to win back Wonderland and that everything would end happily. Nothing happened as I thought it would but what ever happens the way we think it will, especially in a magical place like Wonderland. I knew from the beginning of the first book that King Arch was bad news, the second proved me more right and this one did the same. I was glad to find him overthrown and gone at the end. Sorry if that is giving things away. This is a series I would recommend to people of all ages, any Alice in Wonderland fans definitely. This version with Alyss was thrilling and really hard to put down. The world that Beddor creates is perfectly pictured in my mind and still has a hold of me. I have actually been dreaming about being there. I am glad I was able to get all of the series and read it together because I really wanted to know what was going to happen in the end. It can be hard to have to wait for the next book in the series and then sometimes if can be a disappointment. But this trilogy was well written and a great series that I will be recommending for ages to come.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment