Sunday, November 20, 2011

Module 13

Sister WifeSister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A book I read this week was SISTER WIFE by Shelley Hrdlitschka. This book was a quick read and at parts was hard to get through. I found that through one of the characters eyes Celeste that the religion of the commune that they live in is portrayed very negatively. She is having impure thoughts about a boy her age but in the community she lives in the girls at age 15 are given to a man much older than they are and become a sister wife. But Celeste doesn't want to have anything to do with that. She views the religion and the followings of the community very negatively and doesn't want to become a sister wife. I found this book to be really interesting. I could never live in a community where I had to share my husband or I didn't get to chose to marry for love. I know that arranged marriages do workout in some cultures but I didn't grow up that way I don't think I could live that way. I really liked the ending of this book and some of the things that happened along the way were unexpected but good.



View all my reviews


The Patron Saint of ButterfliesThe Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



During class this week we are talking about religions and different conflicts that parents and teens have when it comes to religions. Another book I read was THE PATRON SAINT OF BUTTERFLIES by Cecilia Galante. This was a very interesting but good book. I found it hard to put down because I wanted to know what was going to happen. From the very beginning I thought that Emmanuel was to good to be true and I knew something else was going to be happening. Two girls who are more like sisters live in a commune where one man Emmanuel is supposed to be the leader or the one God speaks through. But things are going on behind closed doors that no one knows about. Agnes wants nothing more than to be a saint and listens to everything Emmanuel says but Honey is different and doesn't feel that she fits there and acts out against Emmanuel and suffers the consequences. Agnes's grandmother comes to visit and finds out what is going on and takes the girls away. Agnes is in conflict with her grandmother the whole time. They argue about religions and how grandma knows that going back there is a bad idea. Nana Pete knows that Agnes can find her own religion outside of the walls of the commune and encourages her too. This book in some ways was very heart wrenching but overall I really liked it. I don't want to give it away but in the end things are settled as they need to be and Agnes and Nana Pete make peace with their conflict.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment