Sunday, November 13, 2011

Module 12

Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1)Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I read DARK MIRROR by M.J. Putney. I have never been a huge fan of fantasy but I loved this book. This book definitely fits the definitions of fantasy. It has magic, the characters are true to themselves once they reveal and found out that they have magic, and the motivation to learn more about their magic makes sense in the context. I found myself flying through this book, I just had to know what happens next. It is set in 1803 where anyone who is in high society can not let their magic leak or will be sent to Lackland Abbey to learn to control and contain their magic. Tory recuses her nephew after she learns she can fly and is sent to the Abbey. At first she wants nothing more than to learn to control her magic and go home but soon she joins a group of students who embrace their magic. They are embracing their magic in order to help fight the French if they are ever invaded. In the middle of all of this Tory finds Merlin's mirror which can transport her back and forth in time. I won't give anymore away but Tory learns that she loves her magic because magic can help save people and change things. This is only the first book in this series and I really want to read the next. The fantasy that exists in this novel is the magic and magical qualities and the ability to travel through time.



View all my reviews


Geek Fantasy NovelGeek Fantasy Novel by E. Archer

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This novel was hard to get through. It was funny and fun but I found it kind of out there also. It definitely falls under the category of modern fantasy because it includes fairy tale characters, has magic, and has an alternative universe. The book begins in modern times in New Jersey with a nerdy main character Ralph. His parents forbid him to wish for anything, but he ends up leading his long lost cousins on their wishing quest (which the cousins’ parents have forbidden them from wishing, also). It was a little slow at first, and I didn’t think I was going to like it. At times, the scenes seemed disjointed and irrelevant to the plot, but eventually, it got better as the cousins were swept into the alternate world of their wishes which included faeries and bunny rabbits. It was quite bizarre in places. I found that I liked parts of it but didn't like all of it. Kinda proves why I am not a big fan of fantasy.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment